GUIDESHEET FOR 9-8-19
Vision Sunday: Discovering God’s 20/20 vision for our lives!
Think about life:
- Do your wear glasses or contacts? What made you realize you needed glasses or contacts? Do you remember the difference? How often has your prescription changed?
- Who do you know that seems to have a clear vision for their life and how has that affected what they do with their life?
- Some people are near-sighted and some are far-sighted. In terms of having a vision for your life, how would you be affected if your vision is near-sighted? Far sighted?
Read Proverbs 20:18 in the translations provided below.
- If people can’t see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; but when they attend to what he reveals, they are most blessed. (Message)
- When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild. But whoever obeys the law is joyful. (NLT)
- Where this is no revelation the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law. (NIV)
- Where there is no vision the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. (KJV)
- What are the difference in emphasis? How do the different version, read together, give you a fuller understanding of the verse?
- What happens in a person’s life is they do not see and/or obey God’s vision for their life? How does that affect others in their lives?
- What’s the difference between a church that sees, understands, and obeys God’s vision for their church, and a church in which there is no vision at all?
- If someone asked you, “What is the vision and mission of Cornerstone Church?” how would you answer?
- Read 1 Samuel 16:1-13
- What was the vision Samuel had for the next king of Israel? How was God’s vision different? What is the difference between what culture looks for in people and what God looks for in people?
- What was the difference between Jesse’s vision for his son, David and God’s vision for David?
- Have you accepted someone else’s vision for your life in place of God’s vision for your life? If so renounce that false vision and ask God to reveal to you his vision for your life!
Scripture readings: Proverbs 29:18; 1 Samuel 16:1-13