GUIDESHEET FOR 5-31-20
What’s next: Forward or Backward?
Think about life:
- Thinking of people you know, what events in their pasts have hindered their moving into the future in a positive manner?
- Share how a major disappointment has influenced your thinking/actions about the future?
- Share what has helped move beyond the grip of hardship in your past?
Read Ezra 3:7-13
- Note: This is the story of the Israelites rebuilding the foundation of the Temple in Jerusalem after returning from exile in Babylon.
- What kind of effort, planning and determination was involved in the rebuilding? (Verses 7-9)
- How did the people celebrate the completion of the Temple foundation? (Verse 10-11)
- What was the reaction of some of the older leaders? What sounds were mingled together? (Verses 13)
- How can age affect whether we look forward to God’s future?
- What was the emphasis of those looking forward to God’s good future? (Verse 11)
- What things happen in our lives that make it difficult for us to look forward to God’s future for our lives?
Read 2 Cor. 5:14-21
- What does Paul say is the primary sign of a person who has received a new life from Christ? (Verse 15)
- What does Paul say is true of a person who belongs to Christ? (Verse 17)
- What does this “new life” look like? (See Gal. 5:22-25; Eph. 4:25-29)
- What has been the biggest change Christ has worked in your life?
Bible Reading: Ezra 3:7-13; 2 Cor. 5:14-21; Mt. 9:14-17; Rom. 1`2:1-2