STUDY GUIDE FOR 4-21-19
Rethinking Impossible! #1 – Death Overcome by Eternal Life!
Think about life:
- What’s your best or clearest memory of Easter as a child?
- What are some things you thought were impossible when you were younger that have actually happened?
- What long standing social problems seem impossible to entirely eradicate?
- What challenges/obstacles have you watched friends or family struggle with overcome yet fail?
Digging Deeper into Scripture:
- Read John 20:1-10
- What in the story tells you that on the first Easter morning those who went to Jesus tomb had no expectation of Jesus’ resurrection?
- How would they have interpreted what they saw differently if that had been expecting Jesus’ resurrection?
- Why do you think the one disciple did believe that the empty tomb and empty linen wrappings were a sign of Jesus’ resurrection?
- What are the obstacles today for people believing in the resurrection of Jesus Christ? If you’ve overcome some of those obstacles how did that happen for you?
- Read John 20:11-29
- What did it take for the first disciples to believe that Christ was risen?
- What life events have strengthened your believe in the risen Christ?
- Read 2 Corinthians 1:8-11
- What happened to the Apostle Paul that forced him to rely on God?
- Why do you think Paul included the phrase “who raises the dead” as the only descriptive phrase after mentioning God?
- What difference does it make that God has resurrection power?
- As we live out they rhythm of Jesus in our lives – UP in worship, IN into community, and OUT into mission – talk about the difference between living that rhythm believing that God does not have resurrection power or living the rhythm believing God has resurrection power?
Scripture readings: John 20-21; 2 Cor. 1:8-11; 1 Cor. 15