GUIDESHEET FOR 01-19-20
Walking with God through Pain and Suffering
#2 – Walking through the Fiery Furnace
Think about life:
- What gets confusing for us about God when go through a time of pain and suffering? What questions arise?
- What has God taught you through the most difficult experiences of your life?
- What makes it hard to stay connected to people around us when we go through a time of pain and suffering?
- Read Daniel 3:1-30
- Background: Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were promising Jewish leader who were forcibly exiled to Babylon when the Babylonians conquered Jerusalem. They were given new Babylonian names, taught Babylonian culture and given high positions of leadership in the Babylonian government.
- After reading the story, what catches your attention? Why?
- Just as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego would not follow everyone else in worshipping the statue of the King, in what ways do followers of Jesus not follow the culture today?
- What challenge did the King to the three in verses 15?
- What is the difference between trusting God because he will rescue you and simply trusting God? (Verses 16-18)
- What happened to the three when they were thrown into the furnace? Who was with them? (Verses 24-28)
- How did this affect the Babylonian King? (Verse 28-20)
- Ponder how this story helps you understand God’s work in your life?
Bible Reading: Dan. 3; Psalm 23; Isa. 43:2-5; Isa. 48:10; 1 Pt. 1:6-8