STUDY GUIDE FOR 1-27-19
Discovering what God’s love is really like: God’s love disciplines
Think about life:
- When you hear the word “discipline” what 4 words come to mind?
- What methods did your parents use to discipline you? Were they effective?
- If you have children of your own, do you discipline your children differently than your parents disciplined you?
- What’s the difference between discipline and punishment?
- Is there a connection between a child being disciplined and a child learning self-discipline?
- What one thing struck you from the message on Sunday?
Digging Deeper into Scripture:
- The basic meaning of “discipline” in Scripture is education; helping a person to grow up. This includes confronting, rebuking, instruction, and training.
- Read Prov. 3:11-12
- How are we supposed to act when we experience the Lord’s discipline?
- What is the connection between discipline and love?
- What did you take away from the “God’s Chisel” video on Sunday?
- Read Isaiah 45:9 and Isaiah 64:8
- How can the image of a potter working with clay help us understand God’s discipline for our lives?
- What has God used to mold and shape you into the image of Jesus Christ?
- Read Hebrews 12:5-13
- (Verses 5-6) How is knowing that the Lord disciplines us encouraging?
- (Verses 7-9) How does God disciplining us a sign that we are God’s children?
- (Verses 10-11) When does the benefit of discipline come and what is it?
- (Verses 12-13) What does being disciplined by God’s love enable us to do?
- Read Revelation 2:18-23
- (Verses 18-19) To whom is Jesus speaking and how does he compliment them?
- (Verses 20-21) What complaint does Jesus have against this church?
- (Verses 22-23) What does Jesus say his discipline will be and reason does He give for his discipline?
- How seriously does Jesus take the behavior and lives of his followers?
Scripture readings: Hebrews 12:1-13; 2 Tim. 3:16-17; Prov. 3:11-12; Psalm 32:4-5