GUIDESHEET FOR 7-7-19
Get Free and Stay Free! How Salvation Really Works
#4 – Sabbath Rest!
Think about life:
- What kind of work ethic did you learn growing up in your family? Who had the strongest work ethic?
- Growing up did your family have a rhythm of rest? What did it look like? What is legalistic or common sense?
- At what points in life has it been most difficult for you to find times of rest?
- What do you do to get refreshed and revitalized?
- What takes the most out of you and what puts the most back into you?
- Read Exodus 20:8-11
- What strikes you about this commandment? How would this commandment bring a group newly freed slaves life?
- Is anyone excluded from Sabbath rest?
- Did you have any “Sunday” or “Sabbath” rules growing up as a kid? Did they give life or make you feel restricted?
- Where does the idea of Sabbath rest come from?
- Read Genesis 2:1-3
- If you’d never read the biblical creation story before, what might sound odd to you?
- How might Gen. 1:31 help you understand what it meant that God “rested” on the seventh day after creation was completed?
- God set a pattern of work and rest for us. What happens to us if we pretend that we don’t need that pattern? Or work too much or rest too much?
- What’s the best pattern of work and rest for you? If married, for your spouse?
- Read Duet. 5:12-15
- What is the reason given in verse 15 for Sabbath rest? What role did remembering play in Sabbath rest for the newly freed Israelite slaves? For us today?
- In what sense is it true that all worship of God is remembering?
Scripture readings: Exodus 20:8-11; Deut. 5:12-15; Gen. 1:1-2; Heb. 4:9-11