STUDY GUIDE FOR 7-15-18:
FAITH@HOME #3– WE BENEFIT FROM GOD’S DISCIPLINE!
Think about life:
- How did your parents discipline/correct you as you were growing up?
- What’s the most trouble you remember being in growing up, and what was the discipline?
- What were you like as an adolescent: Did you accept discipline and correction or did you push back?
- If you are a parent: What did you find did and did not work in terms of disciplining and correcting your children?
- How would you explain the difference between punishment and discipline?
Digging Deeper into Scripture:
- Read Deut. 8:5
- What are the obstacles that get in the way of us understanding that God disciplines us for our own good?
- Share a story of a time that God disciplined you for your own good.
- Read Proverbs 10:17
- What does it look like to “accept discipline” as opposed to “ignoring correction”?
- What does accepting discipline result in?
- What does ignoring correction result in?
- Do you have an illustration from your own life of both?
- Read Proverbs 15:32
- Explain what you think of the following statement: “Discipline and correction is the primary way we grow in understanding”.
- What biblical characters harmed themselves by rejecting discipline? How have you harmed yourself by rejecting discipline?
- What biblical characters listened to correction and grew in understanding? How have you grown in understanding by listening to correction?
- Read Hebrews 12:5-6
- Why would we want to “make light” of the Lord’s discipline?
- Why might we want to “give up” when God corrects us?
- What helps us take and benefit from God’s discipline and correction?
- Read Luke 15:11-32
- How does this story illustrate God’s discipline and correction?
- Is the story discouraging or encouraging? Why?
Scripture readings: Luke 15:11-32; Heb. 12:7-13; James 1:12-18