GUIDESHEET FOR 6-9-19
Think about life:
- What are the most important promises you have made and how did their affect your life?
- What has been most difficult for you to affirm about the Christianity?
- What has been easiest for you to affirm about Christianity?
Exploring the Confirmation Vows: (2 Timothy 2:1-2; Matthew 6:33)
- Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of the world, and repent of your sin?
- How do you understand this vow? Have there been some things in your life that you’ve had to renounce so that you could follow Jesus?
- Read Mark 1:15. This is a summary of Jesus preaching. Why is repenting or turning from sin at the core of the Good News?
- Do you accept the freedom and power God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression?
- What comes to mind when you hear “resist evil, injustice, and oppression”?
- How has the church historically resisted those things?
- Read 1 John 3:8. What does it mean that Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil? What might that mean for you and the church?
- Do you confess Jesus Christ as Savior, put your whole trust in his grace, and promise to serve him as your Lord?
- What’s the difference between you being your own Savior and confessing Jesus as Savior? Is our culture open to or resistant to serving Jesus as Lord?
- Read Rom. 10:9. What does the Apostle Paul say is necessary for salvation? What does it mean that Jesus is Lord?
- Do you receive and profess the Christian faith as contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments?
- Describe how you our current culture wanting to adapt or remake the Christian faith?
- Read 2 Tim. 3:15-16. What can we expect when we read the Bible?
- Do you vow to remain faithful members of Christ’s holy church and serve as Christ’s representative in the world?
- Which is more challenging: To be a faithful member of Christ’s body or serve as Christ’s representative in the world? Which do you want to learn to do better?
- Read 1 Cor. 12:27. Who is most important in the church? Why do you matter?
- Do you vow to faithfully participate in the church’s ministry by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, your service, and your witness?
- Which is easiest? Most challenging? In which area are you currently growing?
- Read 1 Cor. 12:7. What does God give us spiritual gifts?
- Do you vow to be loyal to Christ through Cornerstone Church and do all in your power to strengthen its ministries?
- What does it mean to you to be loyal to Cornerstone Church?
- Read 2 Cor. 1:1. Note Paul’s loyalty to his brothers and sisters in Christ regardless of geography.