STUDY GUIDE FOR 2-24-19
The Christian Atheist: Are we who we say we are?
#3 – I believe in God but I trust in money
Think about life:
- What was your first job? How much did you make and what did you do with the money?
- What were the basic messages you got about money – making it and spending it – as you grew up?
- “God helps those who help themselves” is a common saying in our culture. What message does that send us about God’s involvement in our lives and our making and managing of money?
- The “Prosperity Gospel”, the idea that God wants us to be successful and wealthy, is popular in the US and around the world. How is that idea true and also not true?
Digging Deeper into Scripture:
- Read Luke 12:22-34
- (Verses 22-30) What are the reasons Jesus gives to not worry?
- (Verse 31-32) Jesus asks us to replace with doing what? What does that mean?
- (Verses 33) What does Jesus ask of his followers? What is terrifying and what is comforting about his request?
- (Verse 34) Why doesn’t Jesus say, “Wherever your heart is, there your treasure will also be”?
- How can we tell where our “treasure” is in our lives?
- Why do we get uncomfortable talking about money?
- Read Luke 16:13-14)
- Why did the Pharisees scoff at what Jesus said?
- Why is it impossible to serve both God and money? What happens? Why the either/or?
- What happens when we try to serve both God and money? What are the signs that it doesn’t work?
Scripture readings: 1 Kings 17:8-16; 1 Tim. 6:6-19; Luke 19:1-10