STUDY GUIDE FOR 2-17-19
The Christian Atheist: Are we who we say we are?
#2 – I believe in God but don’t want to go overboard
Think about life:
- If someone is described as “very religious” or “overly religious” what do they do that earns them that designation?
- Why do some avoid people who are “very religious”?
- If you’ve known someone who was “very religious” that affected you negatively, please share what that was like for you?
- Have you known someone who lived out their faith in Christ in daily life yet did not seem “very religious”? What made them seem like a regular person?
- What fears do you have about going all in and living out your faith in Christ in daily life?
Digging Deeper into Scripture:
- Read Revelation 3:14-2
- Note: In the book of Revelation, this is one of seven letters that Jesus writes to existing churches in Asia Minor. In each letter Jesus identifies himself, encourages and corrects, and gives hope for the believers that overcome.
- (Verse 14) What does Jesus call himself and what does it mean?
- (Verse 15-16) How does Jesus feel about the faith of the church in Laodicea? What does it look like for a church to be “lukewarm”?
- (Verse 17-18) What does the church in Laodicea not realize about themselves? What do they need from Jesus? What might not we realize about ourselves? What do we need from Jesus?
- (Verses 19-20) Why is Jesus confronting them and what he is asking them to do?
- (Verses 21-22) What encouragement and warning does Jesus give?
- Following are statements identifying a Christian atheist lives, followed by a statement on how a Christian lives. Which of the following statements are most problematic for you and why? Which has God’s Spirit been helping you make progress in?
- I live for the approval of people > I live from the approval of God.
- I hide my faith > I share my faith.
- I get tripped up in the present > I keep my mind on Christ’s return.
- I compare myself to others > I follow Jesus Christ.
- I focus on being forgiven > I focus on being transformed.
- I turn to God only when needed > I turn to God daily.
- How much do I have to give? > How much can I give?
- I’m just like my neighbors > I’m different
Scripture readings: Rev. 3: 14-21; Isa. 29:13; 1 Tim. 6:11-12; 1 Cor. 9:24-27