GUIDESHEET FOR 6-23-19
Get Free and Stay Free! How Salvation Really Works
#2 – Worship the true God who rescued you!
Think about life:
• What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word “worship”?
• What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word “idols”?
• What are the differences and similarities between ancient idols and modern idols?
• How can you tell if a hobby has become a god or idol?
• What can become an idol or god for a church?
• What have you felt most connected to God?
• Read Exodus 20:1-3
o What would it have looked like for an ancient Israelite to have a god other than the true God? What does it look like for us today to have a god other than the true God as revealed in Jesus Christ?
o Why does verse 2 begin the Ten Commandments? How does verse 3 rely on verse 2?
o Read Eph. 1:3-8. How is what Paul saying similar to Exodus 20:1-3?
o How is it possible to worship worship?
• Read Exodus 20: 4-6
o Go online and search for the various gods/goddesses that ancient Egyptians worship. How is that different or similar to today?
o Does verse 5 seem harsh? Have you seen it play out in the lives of families?
o How is verse 6 overly generous? How you seen it play out in the lives of families?
o Which to you want for your life?
• Read Exodus 32:1-5
o What caused the people to want Aaron to make some gods?
o Why do you think Aaron cooperated? Why did the people say what they did about the golden calf in verses 4?
o How does Aaron muddle the situation with his declaration of a festival to the Lord?
o What types of events in life can motivate us to seek out another god or create an idol?
o Read 1 Thess. 1:8-10. What were the main signs of conversion for the believers in Thessalonica? They shifted there hope from idols to whom?
o What things vie for our worship?
Scripture readings: Exodus 20:1-6; Exodus 32; 1 Thess. 1:8-10; Rev. 21:8