STUDY GUIDE FOR 2-10-19
The Christian Atheist: Are we who we say we are?
#1 – I believe in God, but don’t fear Him.
Think about life:
- When you were a child, who or what were you afraid of and why? How did that fear affect your behavior?
- What fears have you faced as an adult? How has that affected your behavior?
- In what ways should we not fear God and in what ways should we fear God?
- Talk about how hypocrisy is another way of describing Christian atheism.
Digging Deeper into Scripture:
- Read Titus 1:10-16
- What kind of people are causing problems in the church for Titus?
- How is he supposed to respond to them?
- How does Paul sum up his assessment of these people? (Verse 16)
- Finish the sentence: If we know the true God through Jesus Christ…
- Read Acts 9:20-31
- What change happened in Saul’s life once he believed in Jesus Christ?
- What did Paul face that could have filled him with fear? Why do you think it did not?
- (Verse 31) What do you think it meant that the “believers lived in the fear of the Lord”? What had happened to Jesus Christ that would command deep respect and awe?
- What would be the difference between a church that lived in fear of the Lord compared to a church that did not?
- Read Psalm 36:1-2
- What happens to people who have no fear of God?
- What are some of the things sin might whisper to the hearts of people who have no fear of God?
Scripture readings: 2 Tim. 3:1-5; Titus 1:10-16; 1 Peter 1:17; Acts 9:20-31